Introduction to Tableau | Tableau QuickStart (TTDTAB001)
Introduction to Tableau / Tableau Quickstart is a one day hands-on, quckstart to Tableau course geared for attendees new to using the tool, or for those who want a refresher of the basics or newer features. Ideal attendees would be beginner Tableau users who want to quickly get up to speed with core Tableau features and functions. Students will leave this course armed with the required skills to leverage the important concepts and techniques in Tableau to move from simple to complex visualizations. Students will also learn how to combine them in interactive dashboards.
Who should attend
This is an introductory-level Tableau course geared for attendees new to using the tool, or for those who want a refresher of the basics or newer features. Ideal attendees would be beginner Tableau users who want to quickly get up to speed with intermediate level Tableau features and functions. Individuals working with data-regardless of technical or analytical background are a fit for this course.
Attendees should have familiarity with using Microsoft Excel.
Working in a light hands-on learning environment led by our expert facilitator, students will learn how to:
- Understand Tableau terminology
- Use the Tableau interface / paradigm to effectively create powerful visualizations
- Create basic calculations including string manipulation, basic arithmetic calculations, custom aggregations and ratios, date math, logic statements and quick table calculations
- Use groups, bins, hierarchies, sorts, sets, and filters to create focused and effective visualizations
- Use Measure Name and Measure Value fields to create visualizations with multiple measures and dimensions.
- Handle changes in your data source such as field addition, deletion or name changes.
- Share your visualizations with others.
- Combine your visualizations into Interactive Dashboards and publish them to the web.
- Represent your data using the following visualization types:
- Cross tabs
- Heat maps
- Distribution charts
- Tree maps
- Pie charts and bar charts
- Dual axis and combo charts with different mark types
- Box plots
- Highlight tables
- Scatter plots
Outline: Introduction to Tableau | Tableau QuickStart (TTDTAB001)
1. Simplifying and Sorting Your Data
- Data Filtering
- Creating Date Filters
2. Organizing Your Data
- Using Groups
- Creating and Using Hierarchies
3. Slicing Your Data by Date
- Working with Dates in Tableau
- Using Discrete Date Parts
- Defining a Fiscal Year
- Creating Custom Dates
4. Using Multiple Measures in a View
- Using Measure Values and Measure Names in a View
- Combo Charts
- Combined or Shared Axis Charts
- Creating Dual Axis Charts
5. Showing the Relationship between Numerical Values
- Creating Scatter Plots
- Using Sets
6. Viewing Specific Values
- Creating Heat Maps
- Creating Crosstabs
- Creating Highlight Tables
- Grand Totals, Sub-Totals, and Changing Aggregation
7. Customizing Your Data
- Calculation Types
- Parts of a Calculated Field
- Options for Creating Calculated Fields
- Strings, Dates, and Type Conversion Functions
- Calculations and Aggregations
8. Analyzing Data with Quick Table Calculations
- Using Quick Table Calculations
9. Showing Breakdowns of the Whole
- Pie Charts and Parts of the Whole
- Creating Tree Maps
10. Viewing Distributions
- Bins and Histograms
- Box and Whisker Plots
11. Making Your Views Available
- Building Dashboards
- Dashboard Actions
Lab Setup Made Simple. All course labs and solutions, data sets, Tableau course software (limited version, for course use only), detailed courseware, lab guides and resources (as applicable) are provided for attendees in our easy access, no installation required, remote lab environment for the duration of the course. Our tech team will help set up, test and verify lab access for each attendee prior to the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and successful hands-on course experience for all participants.
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course.