Veritas Storage Foundation 6.x for UNIX: Administration (SFUA)
About this Course
The Symantec Storage Foundation 6.x for UNIX: Administration Fundamentals course is designed for the IT professional tasked with installing, configuring, and maintaining Symantec Storage Foundation (SF) environments, including Volume Manager (VxVM) and File System (VxFS).
This four day, Instructor led, hands-on class covers how to install and configure Symantec Storage Foundation. You learn how to manage disks, disk groups, and volumes by using a variety of SF user interfaces including the Veritas Operations Manager (VOM) Web console. You can also learn about the basics of online file system administration and how to recover from disk failures.
Who should attend
This course is for UNIX system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, network/SAN administrators and systems integration/development staff who will be installing, operating, or integrating Symantec Storage Foundation.
- Knowledge of UNIX system administration.
What You Will Learn
- Install and configure Symantec Storage Foundation.
- Configure and manage disks, disk groups, and volumes.
- Administer file systems.
- Monitor VxVM tasks and change volume layouts to improve performance.
- Identify types of disk failures and how to resolve them.
- Describe the SmartIO feature for caching on SSDs.
Outline: Veritas Storage Foundation 6.x for UNIX: Administration (SFUA)
Module 1: Virtual Objects
- Operating system storage devices and virtual data storage
- Volume Manager storage objects
- VxVM volume layouts and RAID levels
Module 2: Installing Storage Foundation and Accessing SF Interfaces
- Preparing to install Storage Foundation
- Installing Storage Foundation
- Storage Foundation resources
- Storage Foundation user interfaces
Module 3: Creating a Volume and File System
- Preparing disks and disk groups for volume creation
- Creating a volume and adding a file system
- Displaying disk and disk group information
- Displaying volume configuration information
- Removing volumes, disks, and disk groups
Module 4: Working with Volumes with Different Layouts
- Volume layouts
- Creating volumes with various layouts
- Allocating storage for volumes
Module 5: Making Configuration Changes
- Administering mirrored volumes
- Resizing a volume and a file system
- Moving data between systems
- Renaming VxVM objects
Module 6: Administering File Systems
- Benefits of using Veritas File System
- Using Veritas File System commands
- Logging in VxFS
- Controlling file system fragmentation
- Using thin provisioning disk arrays
Module 7: Managing Devices within the VxVM Architecture
- Managing components in the VxVM architecture
- Discovering disk devices
- Managing multiple paths to disk devices
Module 8: Resolving Hardware Problems
- How does VxVM interpret failures in hardware?
- Recovering disabled disk groups
- Resolving disk failures
- Managing hot relocation at the host level
Module 9: Introduction to the New Features and Enhancements
- CPI enhancements
Module 10: New Features and Enhancements in Storage Foundation
- Support for caching on Solid State Drives (SSDs)
- VxVM enhancements
- DMP enhancements
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course. Request a date