Veritas Netbackup 7.5 for UNIX: Administration (NBUS75)
This Symantec NetBackup 7.5: Administration course provides the IT professional with instruction on the functionality of Symantec NetBackup 7.5 software. This course covers the general principles of using NetBackup to develop and implement a storage management strategy, including how to:
- Install, conf igure, and operate NetBackup 7.5.
- Manage NetBackup using the graphical interfaces, commands, and scripts.
- Provide service protection and recovery.
- Use the NetBackup Activity Monitor, NetBackupreports, and OpsCenter to monitor NetBackup activity.
Components of the Training Bundle
- Instructor-led training ( ILT)
- On-Demand Instructor-Led Training (video)
- Symantec Certif ication Exam voucher
For descriptions of these training components, view training details page on the Symantec Education website.
Who should attend
This course is for entry-level system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, and system integration staff w ho are responsible for the installation, configuration, design, operation, monitoring, and performance optimization of NetBackup.
Students must be familiar w ith the administration and configuration of the platforms that are covered by the course.
This course provides instruction on NetBackup 7.5 and covers how to develop and implement a storage management strategy. At the completion of the course, you w ill be able to:
- Discuss the challenges of performing backups in today’s enterprise computing environments.
- Describe the functions of the master, media, and EMM servers and clients.
- Diagram the NetBackup product architecture.
- Define common terms used in the NetBackup product.
- Describe how NetBackup backs up and restores data.
- Identify NetBackup opt ions and agents.
- Install and verify NetBackup.
- Use the NetBackup Administration Console and OpsCenter.
- Describe the various tape and dis k storage types.
- Configure tape-based devices and volume pools; perform a robot inventory.
- Configure basic disk storage units and AdvancedDisk pools.
- Configure file system backup policies and schedules.
- Perform manual backups.
- Restore f iles using the BAR GUI and OpsCenteroperational restore.
- Monitor NetBackup bac kup and restore jobs and perform basic troubleshoot ing and information-gathering steps related to failing jobs.
- Describe the various methods of backup image duplicat ion.
- Conf igure Storage Lifecycle Policies (SLPs) and initiate jobs that use SLPs.
- Back up and recover the NetBac kup catalogs.
- Monitor NetBackup using the NetBackup Activity Monitor, NetBac kup reports, and OpsCenter.
- Configure and manage dis k pools.
- Optimize f ile system bac kups using incremental backups, file system snapshots, mult iplexing, synthetic backups, and multiple data streams.
- Identify backup requirements for application backups, database backups, and v irtual machine backups.
- Identify the resources available for troubleshooting NetBackup.
- Use the nbcplogs utility to gather NetBackup debug logsand NBSU data.
Detailed Course Outline
- Introduction to data protection
- The NetBackup environment
- NetBackup concepts
- NetBackup options and agents
- Preparing for NetBackup installation and configuration
- Using the pre-installation utility
- Installing your NetBackup environment
- Installing NetBackup clients
- Verifying your NetBackup installation
Using the NetBackup Administrative Interfaces
- The NetBackup Administration Console
- NetBackup OpsCenter
Configuring Tape Storage and Media
- NetBackup storage concepts
- Configuring tape devices
- Configuring media
- Verifying tape storage
Configuring Disk Storage
- Basic NetBackup storage
- Configuring basic NetBackup disk storage
- Configuring AdvancedDisk
- Verifying disk storage
- Additional NetBackup storage concepts
Configuring File System Backups
- Introduction to backup policies
- Configuring file system backup policies
Performing File System Backups and Restores
- Performing manual backup operations
- Performing restore operations
- Backup and restore job tips
Protecting Backup Data
- Backup duplication concepts
- Using Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Introduction to Auto Image Replication
- Introduction to NetBackup Vault
Protecting the NetBackup Configuration
- Introduction to NetBackup catalogs
- Managing images
- Performing catalog backup and recovery operations
- Disaster recovery strategies
- Catalog-related tips
- Monitoring NetBackup jobs
- Monitoring NetBackup activity
- Managing jobs
- Monitoring NetBackup health
Managing and Optimizing Tape Storage
- Managing robots and tape drives
- Managing shared tape devices
- Monitoring media and media states
- Managing tapes and media utilization
- Media- and device-related tips
Managing and Optimizing Disk Storage
- Comparing disk storage features
- Managing basic disk and DSSU
- Managing AdvancedDisk and disk pools
- Disk-related tips
Optimizing File System Backups
- File system backup concepts
- Using incremental backups
- Introduction to file system snapshots
- Using multiple data streams
- Optimizing tape drive performance using multiplexing
- Using synthetic backups
- Using FlashBackup
Introduction to Enterprise Backups
- Application protection concepts
- Database backup concepts
- Enterprise application backup concepts
- Virtual machine protect ion concepts
Working with Support
- Support resources
- NetBackup processes, services, and daemons
- Using the nbcplogs utility
- Configuring NetBackup debug logging levels