Essentials of Project Portfolio Management (EPPM)
Who should attend
This course is ideal for anyone who needs a quick understanding of PPM: Portfolio Managers; anyone who uses projects to execute Business Strategy; CEO, CFO, CIO, other Senior Executives; PMO Directors; Functional Managers and Executives with project responsibility.
- Essentials of Project Portfolio Management presents a quick but thorough review of what PPM is and its impact on an organization. Take home a new understanding of how project relate to Business Strategy.
- Take this management training course and learn what you can do to ensure that you choose the right projects at the right time, give them what they need to succeed and reap the benefits of the Business Value that they can deliver.
- Portfolio Management Training delivers important insights into the project delivery and funding process that are not available in standard Project Management Training. This course is executive training at its best.
It has become widely understood that Project Portfolio Management (PPM), when properly implemented, can have a dramatic impact on the bottom line. What is not well understood is that every enterprise already has PPM in place. The question is not "Does it exist?", but rather "Is the current PPM process effective?" Given that PPM is essential to carrying out Business Strategy, there is every reason to want an effective PPM process. So what does it take to make this happen?
PPM is a business process of some complexity and with many participants. This1 day course explains what PPM is and provides examples of the processes and governance structures the management team needs for its successful implementation. This course explains how to optimize PPM, e.g. the steps that are necessary to ensure that only the highest value projects receive funding. Participants discuss portfolio definition, governance options and the need for measurement of business value. They are shown the ingredients for a project environment that ensures every project is fully supported and given what it needs to succeed. Essentials of Project Portfolio Management demonstrates how to get the most out of every project dollar.
This course does not require any prior project training or special knowledge of project management concepts, although a basic understanding is helpful for some of the exercises.
Learning Objectives include:
- Why project success is not enough
- The promise of PPM
- Steps for improving the PPM process
- The power of a PPM charter
- Role of the Executive Team in PPM
- Primary business processes of PPM
- How to choose the right projects at the right time
- Role of formal project management in PPM
- Reporting on portfolio results
- Considerations for formal PPM implementation
- A highly experienced instructor will use interactive lecture format, hands-on exercises, team activities, group discussions and other techniques to drive home the essential points of this material
- We will build on your prior experience in this topic, while providing you with a structure and vocabulary to use in future projects.
- If you have modest project management knowledge, you will find that the clarity of the material and direct presentation style of the instructor will make the subject matter easy to understand.
- You will receive a Student Guide which will help you follow the material, take notes and retain what you learned so that you can apply it in the real world.
Detailed Course Outline
- What is PPM?
- Fundamental PPM Concepts
- PPM Roles and Responsibilities
- Promise of PPM
- Prerequisites of PPM
- The PPM Process – Overview
- Portfolio Definition Process
- Stakeholders & Governance
- Project Identification & Categorization
- Evaluating Projects
- How to Fund Projects Effectively
- Reporting on Portfolio Results
- Implement formal PPM
- Organizational Adoption of PPM
Duration 1 day
- United States: US$ 545