Executive's Guide to Project Portfolio Management (PPM)
Project Portfolio Management (PPM) is the primary business process that underlies execution of an organization's Business Strategy. How can this be? Simple: We implement Strategy through projects, and PPM is the process behind project selection and prioritization, funding, oversight and evaluation. Are you projects delivering the Business Value you expect? If not, chances are that your PPM process is not working well. This course tells you how to make it fly.
PPM is a business process of some complexity and with many participants. It is essential that we define it well so that only the highest value projects are funded, and every project is given what it needs to succeed. Planning on installing Portfolio Management Software? Don't do it until you have thoroughly examined the PPM business process it will support. Any attempt to use the tool to drive process will likely fall short of expectations.
Who should attend
This course is ideal for new Portfolio Managers; anyone who uses projects to execute Business Strategy; CEO, CFO, CIO, other Senior Executives; PMO Directors; Functional Managers and Executives with project responsibility; and anyone who is considering implementing formal Project Portfolio Management.
- Executive's Guide to Project Portfolio Management presents a practical approach to implementing PPM in a way that can drive your Business Strategy forward. Take home a whole new set of tools and techniques.
- Take this management training course and learn what you can do to ensure that you choose the right projects at the right time, give them what they need to succeed and reap the benefits of the Business Value that they can deliver.
- Portfolio Management Training delivers insights into the project delivery and funding process that are not available in standard Project Management Training. This course is executive training at its best.
Project Portfolio Management (PPM) is the primary business process that underlies execution of an organization's business strategy. How can this be? Simple: We implement strategy through projects, and PPM is the process behind project selection and prioritization, funding, oversight and evaluation. Are your projects delivering the business value you expect? If not, chances are that your PPM process is not working well. Planning on installing Portfolio Management software? Don't do it until you have thoroughly examined the PPM business process it will support. Any attempt to use a software tool to drive process improvement will likely fall short of expectations.
PPM is a business process of some complexity and with many participants. It is essential that we define it well so that only the highest value projects are funded and every project is given what it needs to succeed. This course explains the PPM process, level sets expectations and provides opportunity for the management team to develop many of the processes and governance structures they need for successful implementation of Business Strategy. Executive's Guide to Project Portfolio Management is field tested and highly effective.
This course does not require any prior project training or special knowledge, although a basic understanding is helpful for some of the exercises.
Learning Objectives include:
- Reasons for project failure and success
- Why project success is not enough
- How to leverage People, Process and Tools
- The promise of PPM
- Role of formal project management in PPM
- Steps for improving the PPM process
- The power of a PPM charter
- Role of the Executive Team in PPM
- How to define a Portfolio
- Primary business processes of PPM
- How to choose the right projects at the right time
- How to fund projects effectively
- Managing portfolio risk
- Managing change in PPM
- Reporting on portfolio results
- Managing PPM Implementation as a project.
- Gaining organizational adoption of your new PPM process
"The instructor was absolutely exceptional. He brought the material to life, introduced a lot of real life examples, and was engaged in the subject."
"Because we are implementing PPM in our Company and all the concepts apply 100% it is very useful for us. Thanks"
"The instructor's engaging style made this course interesting and relevant. The important take-away is not just understanding of what the PPM process is but what value it provides to the organization and how to use that knowledge to implement the process. The instructor used a lot of real life examples to reinforce the material and to address students' real-life situations."
- A highly experienced instructor will use interactive lecture format, numerous hands-on exercises, team activities, group discussions and other techniques to drive home the essential points of this material
- We will build on your prior experience in this topic, while providing you with a structure and vocabulary to use in future projects.
- If you have modest project management knowledge, you will find that the clarity of the material and direct presentation style of the instructor will make the subject matter easy to understand.
- You will receive a Student Guide which will help you follow the material, take notes and retain what you learned so that you can apply it on your job.
Detailed Course Outline
- What is PPM?
- Fundamental PPM Concepts
- Sources of Project Failure and Success
- Why project success is not enough
- PPM Roles and Responsibilities
- Promise of PPM
- Role of formal Project Management in PPM
- People, Process and Tools
- The power of a PPM Project Charter
- Organizational Impact of PPM
- Prerequisites of PPM
- PPM Process Groups
- The PPM Process – Overview
- Portfolio Definition Process
- Stakeholders & Governance
- Project Identification & Categorization
- Using the Project Register
- Evaluating Projects
- Selection Criteria & Scoring
- Evaluation Tools and Techniques
- Importance of Estimates
- Project Selection and Prioritization
- How to Fund Projects Effectively
- Managing Risks to the Portfolio
- Managing the Portfolio
- Stakeholder Communication
- Reporting on Portfolio Results
- Managing the PPM process
- PPM Implementation as a Program
- PPM Milestones
- Gaining Organizational Adoption of your new PPM Process
Duration: 3 days
- US$ 1,595