Foundation in Project Management (FPM)
Who should attend
This course will be of enormous value to newly assigned project managers and team leads, project managers who are looking for a refresher on basic concepts and techniques, managers of project mangers, functional managers with project responsibility, and Project Management Office staff.
- If you are new to project management, the exercises in this PM course will give you hands on experience with all of the primary techniques required to manage a project.
- Experienced project managers will obtain a vocabulary and framework that lends structure and perspective to the wealth of experience they already have.
- All participants take home a set of tools and techniques to help them deal with all aspects of project planning and execution.
- This Project Management course demonstrates how to avoid many of the problems that project teams most often encounter.
- Project Management Training provides a variety of tools and techniques that you can use in almost any work that you do.
It takes more than abstract knowledge to be successful at the actual work at hand: managing projects. That means we need Project Management training that does more than just focus on passing an exam. What we need is PM training that focuses on those concepts, tools and techniques that actually help us to get the job done. When we leave the course we want to feel as though we can immediately use what we've just learned. Where can we find such training?
Foundation in Project Management delivers practical, hands-on training in essential project management concepts and techniques that every project manager must know. While based on PMBOK® concepts, all topics are supplemented with field-proven best practices that are effective in any project setting. Students learn how to structure a project, establish and manage scope, create an effective schedule, identify and manage risk, control costs, deliver meaningful status reports and more. The format is truly multimodal, with a mixture of exercises, simulations, group discussions, individual discovery and lecture. Every student receives a set of useful Project Management templates. Whether new to Project Management or building on existing skills, participants will return to their workplace better equipped to bring their projects to a successful conclusion.
This course covers the internationally recognized methods and the related terms as they are described in The Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide). You will gain an understanding of the multiple certifications available from the Project Management Institute (PMI) however; this course is not intended to be a preparatory course for passing either the Project Management Professional (PMP) or the Certified Associate Project Manager (CAPM) certification examinations. For either of these certifications an application must be filed proving your qualifications prior to approval to sit for the examination. This course assumes minimal experience with project work. However, no prior PM training is required.
Topics covered during this course include:
- Project lifecycle and project environment
- Getting a project off to a good start
- Knowing who your stakeholders are
- Providing estimates you can live with
- Defining and managing scope, schedule and budget
- Establishing effective communication
- Procurement; Resource Planning
- Putting quality into the product
- Managing Project Risk
- Status Reports, Project Metrics and Earned Value
- Change Control; working with baselines
- Managing stakeholders and vendors
- Controlling cost
- Product delivery
- Lessons Learned
- A highly experienced instructor will use interactive lecture format, numerous hands-on exercises, team activities, group discussions, individual discovery and other techniques to drive home the essential points of this material
- We will build on your prior experience in this topic, while providing you with a structure and vocabulary to use in future projects.
- If you have modest project management knowledge, you will find that the clarity of the material and direct presentation style of the instructor will make the subject matter easy to understand.
- You will receive a Student Guide which will help you follow the material, take notes and retain what you learned so that you can apply it on your job.
What students have said about this course
- "This class was fantastic. The instructor was both knowledgeable and skilled at teaching the material. A must-have course for any organization embarking on projects. You wil see ROI for your investment in this course."
- "Dr. Evans is a wonderful instructor. He spoke very clearly and had a fantastic understanding of the topic. I learned a great deal and see tremendous benefit to putting these tools to use."
- "Gary has done a terrific job in helping us to gain important fundamental knowledge of PM."
Duration: 5 days
- US$ 1,795
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course. Training date request