Essential Project Skills for Teams (EPST)
Who should attend
Project team leads and team members, business staff and managers who participate in projects, Project Coordinators, Project Expeditors and Junior Project Managers.
- This PM course will help you to resolve or even prevent numerous difficult project issues.
- Essential Project Skills for Teams delves into areas of project management that, although seldom discussed, are nonetheless central to project success. Take home a whole new set of tools and techniques.
- Take this course and learn important soft skills that will help you to contribute more fully to project success.
- This Project Management course demonstrates how to avoid many of the problems that project teams most often encounter.
- Project Management Training provides a variety of tools and techniques that you can use in almost any work that you do.
The project team is the engine that cranks out the work of the project. But they can do much more. By understanding the basics of defining a project plan and managing schedule, scope and risk, project team members can contribute more fully to the successful execution of projects. By applying Key interpersonal management skills, team members can manage or even prevent many of the common problems that slow projects down.
This course presents project and people skills that every team member can use during any project. Project management topics help participants understand how they can better assist the project manager in planning and controlling the project. Participants also gain insights into important people skills such as conflict management, delegation, effective communication and even management of stakeholder expectations. Participants are led through a series of exercises, each of which contributes to greater understanding of how to work effectively with other people.
This course assumes some experience as member of a project team. However, no prior PM training is required.
Course topics include:
- The basics of project definition, planning and control
- Defining and managing project risk
- Planning for Organizational Adoption
- Managing stakeholder expectations
- Creating a communication management plan for any project
- Making effective decisions
- Managing conflict
- Effective delegation
- Good Meetings Practice
- Turning Lessons Recorded into Lessons Learned
- A highly experienced instructor will use interactive lecture format, numerous hands-on exercises, team activities, group discussions, individual discovery and other techniques to drive home the essential points of this material
- We will build on your prior experience in this topic, while providing you with a structure and vocabulary to use in all of your future projects.
- If you have modest project management knowledge, you will find that the clarity of the material and direct presentation style of the instructor will make the subject matter easy to understand.
- You will receive a Student Guide which will help you follow the material, take notes and retain what you learned so that you can apply it on your job.
Detailed Course Outline
- CHAOS Study
- Sources of project success and failure
- Course Blueprint
Defining Project and Project Management
- Project Management terminology
- PM Tools per project phase
Managing Project Risk
- Sources of risk
- Risk Register
- Risk Evaluation
- Risk Response Planning
- Controlling Risk
- Impact of change
- Organizational Change projects
- Preparing for organizational change
- The Organizational Adoption Plan
- Implementing change
- Working with resistance to change
- Maintaining change
- Communication Planning
- Communication Tools
- Types of Communication
- Communication Channels
- Version Control
Good Meetings Practice
- Types of meetings
- Good meetings; bad meeting
- Impact of effective meetings
- Defining a Good Meetings Practice
Managing Stakeholder Expectations
- How to manage expectations
- Importance of good estimates
- Shifting and conflicting priorities
Conflict and the Project Team
- Conflict Management
- Conflict sources, signs and symptoms
- Roles in conflict management
- Conflict resolution techniques
- Participating in conflict
- Managing conflict
- Dealing with anger
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Why we fail to delegate
- Delegation Guidelines
- Delegating easy jobs
- Delegating challenging jobs
Problem Solving; Decision Making
- Facts and Fiction
- Types of Opinion
- Generating alternatives
- Making Decisions
- Critical Thinking
Duration: 2 days
- US$ 1,095