Advanced and Applied Project Management (AAPM)
Who should attend
Advanced and Applied Project Management is a three-day, instructor-led, simulation-based class designed for experienced project management practitioners who wish to apply and enhance their fundamental project/program management skills. The course re-establishes essential project management processes through hands on application of skills using both a course case study and a computer-based project simulation tool. Participants take a realistic project from inception (initiation) through completion (closure).
This advanced project management course is designed to help project management practitioners improve their expertise through a combination of lecture, hands-on exercises, and computer simulation. The simulation software allows class teams to carry a realistic project from beginning to end. These sessions will not only test the participants' ability to plan, execute, and control the project, but also helps them to gain valuable insights about leading a project team while dealing with issues that we encounter in our every day projects.
- This PM course benefits experienced project/program managers, team members, portfolio leaders, and executives who lead project organizations. The material applies to Project management practitioners from all industries.
- Even an experienced project manager will obtain a vocabulary and framework that lends structure and perspective to the wealth of experience they already have.
- The exercises in this project course will give you the hands on experience you need to put best practice and new tools to immediate use.
- During this Project Management training you can learn how to avoid or manage some of the problems that project managers most often encounter in their projects.
This advanced PM course assumes familiarity with basic project management concepts as well as some experience in the planning and execution of projects. There is no requirement that attendees complete any specific project management training in advance of the program, but completion of Effective Project Management or like course would be helpful.
Teams learn and use standard project management terminology to develop key project artifacts and deliverables including:
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Project Charter
- Flexibility Matrix (Triple Constraint Model)
- Work Breakdown Structure
- Project Schedule including Critical Path
- Cost Estimates
- Resource Plan
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Risk Assessment and Plan
- Change Control Process
- Quality Control
- Lessons Learned
- The Final Report
What Previous Attendees Have Said:
"Very good instructor. Dynamic presentation with real-world examples/illustrations."
"The course was well-planned and delivered. It met all of my expectations."
"Excellent course! I enjoyed the flow and material."
A highly experienced instructor will use interactive lecture format, numerous hands-on exercises, team activities, group discussions, individual discovery, computer simulation and other techniques to drive home the essential points of this material We will build on your prior experience in this topic, while providing you with a structure and vocabulary to use in future projects. If you have modest project management knowledge, you will find that the clarity of the material and direct presentation style of the instructor will make the subject matter easy to understand.
Detailed Course Outline
Essentials of Project Management
- Key definitions and terminology
- Triple Constraints of project management
- Project initiation and emergence
- Project requirements
- Scope definition
- Success criteria
- Simulation session #1
- Stakeholder identification and analysis
- Resource planning, roles and responsibilities
- Team leadership styles
- Project team communications
- Leading virtual teams
- Simulation session #2
- Project risk management
- Project change management
- Project status reporting and forecasting (EVT)
- Lessons learned
- Project closure and assessment
- Simulation session #3
- Lessons Learned and Final Report
Duration 3 days
- United States: US$ 1,595