Managing System Center Operations Manager 2007 (50028)
About this Course
This five-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to install and configure System Center Operations Manager 2007. The information included in this class will prepare the student for managing their Operations Manager 2007 infrastructure.
Who should attend
This course is intended for both novice and experienced network engineers who have a minimum basic Active Directory and network services experience.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Familiarity with PC hardware and devices.
- Experience supporting Windows-based systems.
- Experience authoring and editing batch and script files.
- Experience reviewing Windows application and service logs.
- Experience configuring or supporting distributed application environments.
- Working knowledge of Windows Server 2003 networking.
- Working Knowledge of Active Directory.
What You Will Learn
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Install Operations Manager 2007 Root Management Server.
- Install the Root Management Server in a highly available configuration.
- Navigate the Operations Console and the Web Console.
- Manage the Management Group using the Command Shell.
- Perform agent installation on managed systems.
- Import and export management packs.
- Configure Rules, Events, Monitors and Tasks.
- Configure Reporting and create reports.
- Monitor workstations and servers using Agentless Exception Monitoring.
- Configure and manage Audit Collection Services.
- Create Synthetic Transactions.
- Create Distributed Applications.
- Multi-home an agent.
- Configure a Gateway server for monitoring untrusted domains.
- Configure communication between two management groups.
- Migrate from Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 to Operations Manager 2007
Outline: Managing System Center Operations Manager 2007 (50028)
Module 1: Installing Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007
This module explains how to install System Center Configuration Manager 2007 in a single Root Management Server configuration and a clustered highly available Root Management Server configuration.
- Preparing for Operations Manager 2007 R2
- Using System Center Capacity Planner
- Installing System Center Operations Manager 2007
- Post Installation
Lab : Installing Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
- Installing the Operations Manager Components
Module 2: Using the Operations Console
This module explains how to use the Operations Console and how to perform configuration tasks.
- Reviewing the Workspaces
- Using the Web Console
- Working with Views
- Reviewing Security Roles
Lab : Creating Operator Accounts and Views
- Creating Operator Accounts and Views
Module 3: Configuring Management Group and Agent Settings
This module explains how to configure the global management group settings and the individual agent settings within Operations Manager 2007.
- Global Settings
- Overriding Global Settings
- Creating Notifications
Lab : Configuring Notification Settings
- Setting Management Group Notification Options
- Creating Notification Recipients
- Creating Notification Subscriptions
- Testing Notification Subscriptions
Module 4: Agent Installation
This module explains how to deploy the Operations Manager agent within the management group.
- Configuring Active Directory
- Push Installation
- Manual Installation
- Managing Agents
Lab : Agent Installation
- Manually Installing the Agent
- Approving the Manually Installed Agent
Module 5: Management Packs
This module explains how to import, export and manage the objects within a management pack.
- Management Pack Overview
- Importing and Exporting Management Packs
- Creating and Sealing Management Packs
Lab : Creating Monitors
- Creating a Self-Tuning Threshold
- Creating a Correlated Windows Event Unit Monitor
Lab : Creating Tasks
- Creating a Task
- Testing a Task
Lab : Associating Run As Profiles with a Management Pack
- Creating a Run As Profile
- Testing a Task
Lab : Configuring Overrides
- Create and Verify the Override
Module 6: Reporting
This module explains how to install and configure SQL Reporting Services and then install Operations Manager Reporting and create reports.
- Installing and Configuring SQL Reporting Services
- Installing Operations Manager Reporting
- Creating and Viewing Reports
Lab : Creating Reports
- Creating a Model
- Creating a Report
Module 7: Agentless Exception Monitoring
This module explains how to configure Agentless Exception Monitoring to monitor for application faults and then monitor the client systems.
- Configuring Exception Monitoring
- Managing Clients
Lab : Configuring Agentless Exception Monitoring
- Configuring Client Monitoring
- Configuring Group Policy
- Testing Client Monitoring
Module 8: Audit Collection Services
This module explains how to install and configure Audit Collection Services, how to enable forwarders and how to manage collectors and forwarders using the Command Shell.
- Audit Collection Services Overview
- Installing Audit Collection Services
- Configuring Forwarders and Collectors
- Importing ACS Reports
Lab : Configuring Forwarders
- Enabling Forwarders
Lab : Configuring ACS Reports
- Import ACS Reports
Module 9: Synthetic Transactions
This module explains how to create a synthetic transaction to proactively monitor components.
- Synthetic Transactions
Lab : Creating Synthetic Transactions
- Building the Synthetic Transaction
- Testing the Synthetic Transaction
Module 10: Distributed Applications
This module explains how to create and use distributed applications to provide end-to-end service monitoring.
- Distributed Applications
Lab : Creating a Distributed Application
- Building the Model
- Building the Model
Module 11: Monitoring Non-Microsoft Platforms
This module introduces the components that allow monitoring of UNIX, Linux and network devices.
- Tools for Monitoring Non-Microsoft Platforms
- Using the Cross-Platform Extensions
Module 12: Complex Environments
This module explains how to configure agents to send monitoring data to multiple management servers in multiple management groups. It also explains how to install and configure a Gateway server for clients in untrusted domains and how to configure multiple management groups to interoperate.
- Multi-homing Agents
- Untrusted Environments
- Multi-Tiered Environments
Lab : Connecting Management Groups
- Connecting Management Groups
- Configuring Operator Accounts
Module 13: Backup and Recovery
This module explains how to backup and restore a management group and the management servers within the management group.
- Planning Backup and Restore
- Performing a Backup
- Planning Recovery Strategies
Lab : Converting Management Packs
- Promoting a Management Server