Writing Queries Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Transact-SQL (2778)
About this Course
This course provides students with the technical skills required to write basic Transact-SQL queries for Microsoft SQL Server 2008.
Who should attend
SQL Server database administrators, implementers, system engineers, and developers who are responsible for writing queries.
- Knowledge of data integrity concepts.
- Core Windows Server skills.
- Relational database design skills.
- Programming skills.
What You Will Learn
- Describe the uses of and ways to execute the Transact-SQL language.
- Use querying tool.
- Write SELECT queries to retrieve data.
- Group and summarize data by using Transact-SQL.
- Join data from multiple tables.
- Write queries that retrieve and modify data by using subqueries.
- Modify data in tables.
- Query text fields with full-text search.
- Describe how to create programming objects.
- Use various techniques when working with complex queries.
Outline: Writing Queries Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Transact-SQL (2778)
Module 1: Getting Started with Databases and Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2008
- Overview of SQL Server 2008
- Overview of SQL Server Databases
- Overview and Syntax Elements of T-SQL
- Working with T-SQL Scripts
- Using T-SQL Querying Tools
Module 2: Querying and Filtering Data
- Using the SELECT Statement
- Filtering Data
- Working with NULL Values
- Formatting Result Sets
- Performance Considerations for Writing Queries
Module 3: Grouping and Summarizing Data
- Summarizing Data by Using Aggregate Functions
- Summarizing Grouped Data
- Ranking Grouped Data
- Creating Crosstab Queries
Module 4: Joining Data from Multiple Tables
- Querying Multiple Tables by Using Joins
- Applying Joins for Typical Reporting Needs
- Combining and Limiting Result Set
Module 5: Working with Subqueries
- Writing Basic Subqueries
- Writing Correlated Subqueries
- Comparing Subqueries with Joins and Temporary Tables
- Using Common Table Expressions
Module 6: Modifying Data in Tables
- Inserting Data into Tables
- Deleting Data from Tables
- Updating Data in Tables
- Overview of Transactions
Module 7: Querying Metadata, XML, and Full-Text Indexes
- Querying Metadata
- Overview of XML
- Querying XML Data
- Overview of Full-Text Indexes
- Querying Full-Text Indexes
Module 8: Using Programming Objects for Data Retrieval
- Overview of Views
- Overview of User-Defined Functions
- Overview of Stored Procedures
- Overview of Triggers
- Writing Distributed Queries
Module 9: Using Advanced Querying Techniques
- Considerations for Querying Data
- Working with Data Types
- Cursors and Set-Based Queries
- Dynamic SQL
- Maintaining Query Files
- Using SQL Server Management Studio and SQLCMD
- Querying and Filtering Data
- Grouping and Summarizing Data
- Joining Data from Multiple Tables
- Working with Subqueries
- Modifying Data in Tables
- Querying Metadata, XML, and Full-Text Indexes
- Using Programming Objects for Data Retrieval
- Using Advanced Querying Techniques
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course. Request a date