Introduction to Azure for Developers (10978)
This course offers you the opportunity to take an existing ASP.NET MVC application and expand its functionality as part of moving it to Azure. This course focuses on developing in Azure using Storage, Cloud Services, Service Bus, Active Directory, WebSites and SQL among other features. This course also focuses on using the provided .NET SDKs, REST APIs, configuration and deployment options related to Azure.
Who should attend
The developers targeted by this training are web application developers who have 6-12 months of web development experience using ASP.NET and C#. Said developers are interested in deploying their ASP.NET applications to Azure, integrating the applications with the Azure services and using best practices to build a highly scalable application.
Before attending this course, you must have the following experience:
- ASP.NET web application development
- C# application development
- Resources used with enterprise web application development
- Relational databases (SQL)
- WCF services
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe Azure and the capabilities that it provides to application developers. Students will also be able to use the Management Portal to effectively navigate the Azure platform and their deployed applications.
- Use the Management Portal to create, modify, scale and dispose of Azure services. The students will also use alternative (PowerShell, REST) methods for managing Azure services.
- Create and host a simple website using Azure Websites. Students will learn how to monitor and manage the website using the Management Portal.
- Build a modular web application and host it using Azure Cloud Service Web Roles.
- Use Cloud Service Worker Roles to process data in the background. Students will also be able to use Cloud Service Cache Roles to store data in the cache.
- Use Azure SQL to store and retrieve data.
- Store data in Azure Table Storage.
- Store and access multimedia files in Azure using Blob Storage.
- Use Azure Queue Storage to queue data for asynchronous processing. Students will also learn how to use Azure Service Bus Queues for queuing data.
- Use the Azure Service Bus Relay to connect on-premise services with client applications.
- Use Azure Service Bus Notification Hubs to publish messages to client applications.
- Use Azure Active Directory to implement security in a Cloud web application.
- Deploy web applications to Azure by using WebDeploy and Service Packages.
- Use Azure Mobile Services to provide a scalable and secure web service for mobile applications.
Detailed Course Outline
Module 1: Overview of Azure
- Azure Overview
- Working with the Azure platform
- Cloud Application Scenarios
Module 2: Creating and Managing Services in Azure
- What is a Azure Service?
- Software as a Service
- Platform as a Service
- Infrastructure as a Service
Module 3: Managing Infrastructure in Azure
- Infrastructure in Azure
- Azure Virtual Machines
Module 4: Creating Web Sites using Azure
- Azure Websites
- Hosting Web Applications in Azure
- Configuring an Azure Website
- Publishing an Azure Website
- Monitoring an Azure Website
Module 5: Creating Modular Web Applications Using Azure
- What is a Cloud Service?
- Cloud Service Web Roles
- Configuring a Web Role
- Monitoring a Web Role
Module 6: Processing Background Logic Using Azure
- Cloud Service Worker Roles
- Creating a Worker Role
- Configuring a Worker Role
- Caching Data Using Roles
Module 7: Storing SQL Data in Azure
- What is Azure SQL?
- Managing Servers And Databases in Azure SQL
- Using Azure SQL with Data Tools
- Migrating Data to Azure SQL
- Using Azure SQL With Entity Framework
Module 8: Storing non-relational data in Azure
- What is Azure Storage?
- Azure Table Storage
- Using the Azure SDK to Manipulate Data in Table Storage
- Monitoring Table Storage
- Using Table Storage in the Storage Emulator
Module 9: Storing Files and Media in Azure
- Azure Blob Storage
- Applying Permissions to Blob Storage
- Using the Azure SDK to manipulate data in Blob Storage
- Monitoring BLOB Storage
- Using Blob Storage in the Storage Emulator
Module 10: Storing Data in Queues Using Azure
- Overview of Queues in Azure
- Azure Queue Storage
- Using the Azure SDK to manipulate data in Queue Storage
- Monitoring Queue Storage
- What is Azure Service Bus?
- Azure Service Bus Queues
- Using the Azure SDK to Manipulate Data in Service Bus Queues
Module 11: Relaying Web Services Using Azure
- Service Bus Relay
- Implementing Service Bus Relay
Module 12: Asynchronously Notifying Applications Using Azure
- Azure Service Bus Notification Hubs
- Registering Devices with a Notification Hub
- Pushing Messages to a Notification Hub
Module 13: Implementing Security in Web Applications using Azure
- Azure Active Directory
- Azure AD Directory
- Azure AD Access Control Service
- Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication Provider
Module 14: Deploying Web Applications to Azure
- Deployment Strategies for Azure Web Applications
- Deploying Web Applications Using Cloud Service Packages
- Deploying Web APPLICATIONS USING WEBDEPLOY
- Monitoring Cloud Applications
Module 15: Developing Mobile Services using Azure
- Azure Mobile Services
- Communicating with Mobile Services
- Customizing Mobile Services
- Securing Mobile Services
- Using the Azure Management Portal
- Managing a Azure Subscription
- Creating a Azure Service Using the Management Portal
- Creating A Azure Service Using Visual Studio 2013
- Managing Azure Services
- Create a Logical Network using Azure
- Create a Development Virtual Machine using Azure
- Configure the Virtual Machine for Development
- Create an Azure Website
- Deploy an ASP.NET Web Application to an Azure Website
- Configure an Azure Website
- Create an Azure Cloud Service project
- Create an Azure Cloud Service Web Role from an existing project
- Configuring the properties of an Azure Cloud Service project
- Debugging an Azure Cloud Service project
- Create a C# Class Library
- Add the Class Library to a Cloud Service Project
- Debug Worker Roles in a Cloud Service Project
- Create an Azure SQL instance
- Using Entity Framework with Azure SQL
- Implement Azure Table Storage
- Populating the Table with Data
- Querying the Data
- Inspecting the Table
- Implement Azure Blob Storage
- Populating the Container with Files and Media
- Retrieving Files and Media from the Container
- Specifying Permissions for the Container
- Creating a Azure Service Bus Namespace
- Create an Azure Queue Storage instance
- Retrieving Messages from Azure Queue Storage
- Create a Service Bus Queue
- Retrieving Messages from a Service Bus Queue
- Creating a Azure Service Bus Namespace
- Validate the WCF Service
- Connecting a WCF Service to a Service Bus Namespace
- Creating a Azure Service Bus Notification Hub
- Registering a Client Application to a Service Bus Notification Hub
- Pushing a Message to a Service Bus Notification Hub
- Create an Azure AD Directory
- Manage the Azure AD Directory
- Integrate Azure AD with ASP.NET Identity
- Manage Configuration Settings for a Cloud Service Project
- Deploy the Web Applications to Azure
- Monitor the Web Applications in Azure
- Create a Azure Mobile Services Instance
- (optional) Create a Mobile Service Custom API
- Consume the Mobile Service using the Windows Phone 8 Application