Enterprise Search for IT Professionals (10802)
This three day course prepares IT Professionals to administer enterprise search solutions using Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Microsoft FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint. All aspects of administration are covered including search topologies, search sites, content crawling, federation, monitoring, and search reporting.
Who should attend
This course is intended for IT Professionals responsible for administering the search features of SharePoint Server 2010 and FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Design the deployment, scalability, and fault tolerance options for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010.
- Configure content sources, crawl content, and troubleshoot and monitor the crawl process.
- Create and configure enterprise search sites.
- Create and configure managed properties, keywords, and SharePoint search scopes.
- Create new federated locations and configure the federated web parts.
- Monitor and configure search reports and web analytics.
- Design the deployment, scalability, and fault tolerance options for FAST Search Server.
- Install FAST Search Server standalone and multiple search server systems.
- Determine when to use a FAST Search specialty connector and configure the FAST Web Crawler.
- Configure FAST Search enhanced managed properties, FAST Search scopes, business based promotions and demotions, FAST Search keywords, and Visual Best Bets.
- Implement a backup and restore plan for FAST Search Server.
- Monitor the FAST Search Server and use command line utilities
Detailed Course Outline
Module 1: SharePoint Search Architecture
This module examines the basic crawling and query architectures, the search component functions, and the process of designing a search farm.
- Lesson 1: Search Planning
- Lesson 2: Crawl Architecture
- Lesson 3: Query Architecture and Topologies
Lab: SharePoint Search Architecture
- Exercise 1: Identify Search Components
- Exercise 2: Configure the Search Service Application
- Exercise 3: Expanding the Search Topology
Module 2: PowerShell and Content Crawling
This module covers the basics of using Windows PowerShell to administer your enterprise search solution. The module also details how to set up content sources, crawl content, and troubleshoot and monitor the crawl process.
- Lesson 1: Windows PowerShell
- Lesson 2: Content Crawling
Lab: Crawling Content and an Introduction to Windows PowerShell
- Exercise 1: Crawl Content Sources
- Exercise 2: Test Drive Windows PowerShell
Module 3: Configuring Search Sites
This module includes information the Keyword Search Syntax and how to create search sites. The module reviews the specialized web parts for search.
- Lesson 1: Keyword Syntax
- Lesson 2: Introducing the Search Site
- Lesson 3: Search Web Parts
Lab: Configuring Search Sites
- Exercise 1: Create a Custom Search Site
Module 4: SharePoint Search Enhancements
This module shows you how to add value to a basic search site through managed properties, keywords, and SharePoint search scopes.
- Lesson 1: Managed Properties and Keywords
- Lesson 2: SharePoint Scope
Lab: SharePoint Search Enhancements
- Exercise 1: Add a Keyword, Best Bet, and Query Suggestion
- Exercise 2: Add a Search Scope
Module 5: Configuring Federation
This module helps you to leverage content already indexed by other sites, such as Microsoft Bing. The module covers how to create new federated locations, and configure the federated web parts.
- Lesson 1: Federated Search Basics
- Lesson 2: Creating New Federated Locations
- Lesson 3: Adding Metadata to a Federated Location
- Lesson 4: Security Options
Lab: Federated Web Parts
- Exercise 1: Configuring Federated Web Parts
Module 6: Search Reporting and Analytics
This module takes you through the process of configuring search monitoring. The module also examines Search Administration Reports and Web Analytics Reports.
- Lesson 1: Configure Monitoring
- Lesson 2: Search Administration Reports
- Lesson 3: Web Analytics Reports
- Lesson 4: Other Search Reporting Tools
Lab: Search Reporting and Analytics
- Exercise 1: Configure and View Search Reports
Module 7: FAST Search Architecture
This module shows why FAST Search Server is used for the largest and most demanding search solutions. The module looks at the search components, common topologies, and provides search scaling and performance information.
- Lesson 1: Architecture Components
- Lesson 2: Topology Options
Lab: FAST Search Architecture Diagram
- Exercise 1: FAST Search Architecture Diagram and Concepts
Module 8: FAST Search Installation
This module covers all aspects of installation for standalone and multiple search installations. Post installation steps like configuring Search Service Applications are also included
- Lesson 1: Prepare for Installation
- Lesson 2: Standalone Deployments
- Lesson 3: Multiple Server Deployments
- Lesson 4: Search Service Applications
- Lesson 5: Post Installation Steps
Lab: Installing and Configuring FAST Search Server
- Exercise 1: Install FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint
- Exercise 2: Create and Configure the FAST Search Content SSA and the FAST Query SSA
Module 9: FAST Specific Connectors
This module looks at the specialty connectors offered by FAST Search and when you should use those connectors. The FAST Web Crawler Connector is covered in detail.
- Lesson 1: Capabilities and Usage
- Lesson 2: FAST Specific Connectors
Lab: FAST Search Web Crawler
- Exercise 1: Crawling Content with FAST Search
- Exercise 2: Crawling Content with the FAST Search Web Crawler
Module 10: FAST Search Enhancements
This module shows you how to add features like enhanced managed properties, FAST Search scopes, business based promotions and demotions, FAST Search keywords, and Visual Best Bets.
- Lesson 1: Keywords
- Lesson 2: FQL and Scopes
- Lesson 3: Business Based Ranking
Lab: FAST Search Enhancements
- Exercise 1: Business Based Ranking
- Exercise 2: Create and Use a Managed Property
Module 11: FAST Search Backup and Restore
This module helps you to implement a backup and restore plan for FAST Search Server. The lessons cover the PowerShell scripts provided with the product to assist with this task.
- Lesson 1: Backup and Restore Planning
- Lesson 2: Backup
- Lesson 3: Restore
Lab: Backup and Restore
- Exercise 1: Backup and Restore
Module 12: FAST Search Monitoring and Tools
This module reviews how you can use performance counters to gain insight into how the product is performing, and covers the large number of command line utilities that are available to you.
- Lesson 1: Monitoring
- Lesson 2: Tools
Lab: FAST Search Tools and Logs
- Exercise 1: FAST Search Tools and Logs