MSP Foundation (MSP)
This two-day course provides participants with a thorough understanding of the Managing Successful Programs (MSP) program management methodology, providing the knowledge needed to confidently understand and explain the use of MSP to manage programs in line with strategic aims of a business and the its day-to-day running.
Delivered by fully accredited trainers and industry leading experts who have extensive experience using MSP, the course includes a relevant, modern case study to help delegates understand how to apply the MSP way of managing programs in the real world. There is also plenty of opportunity for participants to present their exercise results and discuss them with the rest of the class, thus gaining further knowledge from many different points of view, in many different industries.
Who should attend
Newly appointed program managers who may have a background in managing projects, but have not previously operated in a transformational change environment. Senior managers who will “sponsor” the change, or perhaps be held accountable for its success. Operational managers charged with embedding the change in their area. Operational staff undertaking a role in the program or related projects. Program office staff (PMO) wishing to build upon their project management knowledge. Experienced project managers. Those seeking a professional qualification in program management.
Delegates should ideally have experience of managing or working in programs prior to attending. Knowledge of the PRINCE2® project management method is advantageous but by no means mandatory; some exposure to a project management method will aid understanding of how the program works with these projects.
- Understand the principles and structure of MSP.
- Understand the benefits of a structured method in a changing environment.
- Explain the MSP process model.
- Understand the MSP themes.
- Draft a Program brief and Vision Statement.
- Propose a Program organisation structure.
- Engage with stakeholders at all levels.
- Understand the vision and the blueprint and how they can be applied to the best advantage.
- Apply progress control mechanisms.
- Appreciate the principles of program level quality and risk management.
- Realize the importance of configuration management
Detailed Course Outline
- MSP Introduction and Overview
- MSP Framework and Concepts
- Identifying a Program
- Blueprint Design and Delivery
- Defining a Program
- Planning and Control
- Benefits Realization Management
- Organization and the Program Office
- The Business Case
- Leadership and Stakeholder Engagement
- Managing the Trenches
- Delivering the Capability and Realizing the Benefits
- Quality Assurance Management
- Risk Management and Issue Resolution
- Closing a Program