Securing JEE Web Services (SJWS)
Designing, implementing, and deploying secure services presents unique challenges. In addition to dealing with all of the vulnerabilities and attacks associated with web applications, web services must address business-oriented concerns such as authentication, authorization, non-repudiation, and others. The complicating factor is that all measures must be implemented within the constraints of standards and high levels of interoperability.
This course quickly introduces you to the most common security vulnerabilities faced by web applications today. Each vulnerability is examined from a Java/JEE perspective through a process of describing the threat and attack mechanisms, recognizing associated vulnerabilities, and, finally, designing, implementing and testing effective defenses. Multiple practical labs reinforce these concepts with real vulnerabilities and attacks. You will then be challenged to design and implement the layered defenses you will need in defending your own applications. This class is “technology-centric”, designed to train attendees in essential secure coding and development skills, coupling the most current, effective techniques with the soundest industry practices.
You will leave the course armed with the skills required to recognize actual and potential software vulnerabilities, implement defenses for those vulnerabilities and test those defenses for sufficiency.
Who should attend
Securing JEE Web Services is a lab-intensive, hands-on JEE security training course, essential for experienced enterprise developers who need to produce secure JEE-based web services. In addition to teaching basic programming skills, this course digs deep into sound processes and practices that apply to the entire software development life-cycle.
This is an intermediate-level JEE / web services programming course, designed for developers who wish to get up and running on developing well defended software applications. This course may be customized to suit your team’s unique objectives.
Familiarity with Java and JEE is required and real world programming experience is highly recommended. Ideally, students should have approximately 6 months to a year of Java and JEE working knowledge.
Working in a lab-intensive, hands-on programming environment, led by our security experts and guided by our expert security team, you will learn to:
- Understand the consequences for not properly handling untrusted data such as denial of service, cross-site scripting, and injections
- Be able to test web applications with various attack techniques to determine the existence of and effectiveness of layered defenses
- Prevent and defend the many potential vulnerabilities associated with untrusted data
- Understand the concepts and terminology behind supporting, designing and deploying secure services
- Appreciate the magnitude of the problems associated with service security and the potential risks associated with those problems
- Understand the currently accepted best practices for supporting the many security needs of services.
- Understand the vulnerabilities associated with authentication and authorization within the context of web services
- Be able to detect, attack, and implement defenses for authentication and authorization functionality
- Understand the dangers and mechanisms behind Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) and Injection attacks
- Be able to detect, attack, and implement defenses against XSS and Injection attacks
- Understand the concepts and terminology behind defensive, secure coding
- Understand the use of Threat Modeling as a tool in identifying software vulnerabilities based on realistic threats against meaningful assets
- Perform both static code reviews and dynamic application testing to uncover vulnerabilities in Java-based web services
- Design and develop strong, robust authentication and authorization implementations within the context of JEE
- Understand the fundamentals of XML Digital Signature as well as how it can be used as part of the defensive infrastructure for web services
- Understand the fundamentals of XML Encryption as well as how it can be used as part of the defensive infrastructure for web services
- Understand and defend vulnerabilities that are specific to XML and XML parsers
Our robust course materials include much more than a simple slideshow presentation handout. Student materials include a comprehensive hard-copy course manual, complete with detailed course notes, code samples, diagrams and current reference materials, all directly related to the course at hand, indexed for ease of use. Step-by-step lab instructions and project descriptions are clearly illustrated and commented for maximum learning and ease of use. This course also includes:
- Basic course pre-testing and/or post-course assessments
- Ability to customize the courseware, adapting it to your companies policies, procedures and plans
- Although this training is skills-centric, this course can be delivered using a variety of software combinations, including but not limited to: Eclipse / Ganymede, MyEclipse, IBM® WebSphere Rational Application Developer (RAD7), Oracle JDeveloper or other IDEs. This course may also run using Java 5 or Java 6. Please inquire for details and options.
- Our detailed workbooks are complete with software-specific screen shots and step-by-step tutorials for using the software you select. In most cases we can easily port our classes to run in the environment of your choosing.
Duration: 4 days
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course. Training date request