Advanced System and Application Security with the DISA STIGS (ASASDS)
Who should attend
The Advanced DISA STIGs for System and Application Security 4-day hands-on intensive course is intended for government and contractor organizations that are required to follow the tight security controls defined in the DISA STIGs. STIGS are an integral part of the required configuration standards for DoD Information Assurance measures. These measures are focused on preventing cyber espionage and crime as well as denial-of-service attacks. DISA’s STIGS, in conjunction with the associated checklists and scripts, provide a comprehensive listing of requirements and needs for improving and maintaining the security of software applications and systems within the Department of Defense. This course fills in the context, background, and best practices for fulfilling those requirements and needs. As with all of our courses, we maintain tight synchronization between the latest DISA releases and our materials. This course fills in the context, background, and best practices for fulfilling those requirements and needs. As with all of our courses, we maintain tight synchronization between the latest DISA releases and our materials. The present course is updated to Version 3 of the Application Security and Development STIG that was release in September, 2009.
Application Security and Development is a lab-intensive, hands-on application security training course essential for developers, designers, architects, QA, Testing, and other personnel who need to deliver secure applications within the DoD. In addition to teaching basic programming skills, this course digs deep into sound processes and practices that apply to the entire software development life-cycle.
In this course, students thoroughly examine best practices for defensively coding applications, including XML processing and web services. Students will repeatedly attack and then defend various assets associated with a fully-functional application. This hands-on approach drives home the mechanics of how to secure applications in the most practical of terms.
This is an intermediate-level course, designed for developers who wish to get up and running on developing well defended software applications. This course may be customized to suit your team’s unique objectives.
Familiarity with a programming language is required and real world programming experience is highly recommended. Ideally students should have approximately 6 months to a year of working knowledge.
Students who attend Application Security and Development will leave the course armed with the skills required to recognize actual and potential software vulnerabilities, implement defenses for those vulnerabilities, and test those defenses for sufficiency.
This course introduces developers to the most common security vulnerabilities faced by web applications today. Each vulnerability is examined from a programming perspective through a process of describing the threat and attack mechanisms, recognizing associated vulnerabilities, and, finally, designing, implementing, and testing effective defenses.
Multiple practical labs reinforce these concepts with real vulnerabilities and attacks. Students are then challenged to design and implement the layered defenses they will need in defending their own applications.
Working in a lab-intensive, hands-on programming environment, led by our security experts, guided by our expert security team, students will learn to:
- Understand potential sources for untrusted data
- Understand the consequences for not properly handling untrusted data such as denial of service, cross-site scripting, and injections
- Be able to test web applications with various attack techniques to determine the existence of and effectiveness of layered defenses
- Prevent and defend the many potential vulnerabilities associated with untrusted data
- Understand the vulnerabilities of associated with authentication and authorization
- Be able to detect, attack, and implement defenses for authentication and authorization functionality and services
- Understand the dangers and mechanisms behind Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) and Injection attacks
- Be able to detect, attack, and implement defenses against XSS and Injection attacks
- Understand the concepts and terminology behind defensive, secure, coding
- Understand the use of Threat Modeling as a tool in identifying software vulnerabilities based on realistic threats against meaningful assets
- Perform both static code reviews and dynamic application testing to uncover vulnerabilities in Java-based web applications
- Design and develop strong, robust authentication and authorization implementations within the context of application framework
- Understand the fundamentals of Cryptography and Encryption and where they fit in the overall security picture
- Understand the fundamentals of XML Digital Signature and XML Encryption as well as how they are used within the web services arena
- Be able to detect, attack, and implement defenses for XML-based services and functionality
- Understand techniques and measures that can used to harden web and application servers as well as other components in your infrastructure
- Understand and implement the processes and measures associated with the Secure Software Development (SSD)
- Acquire the skills, tools, and best practices for design and code reviews as well as testing initiatives
- Understand the basics of security testing and planning
- Work through a comprehensive testing plan for recognized vulnerabilities and weaknesses
This class is “technology-centric”, designed to train attendees in essential secure coding and development skills, coupling the most current, effective techniques with the soundest industry practices.
The course provides a solid foundation in basic terminology and concepts, extended and built upon throughout the engagement. Students will examine various recognized attacks against web applications. Processes and best practices are discussed and illustrated through both discussions and group activities.
Students who attend the Advanced DISA STIGs for System and Application Security course receive expert training on how to implement secure applications and systems utilizing the DISA STIGs. Students learn Application and System Security techniques including auditing and analysis as well.
Our robust course materials include much more than a simple slideshow presentation handout. Student materials include a comprehensive hard-copy course manual, complete with detailed course notes, code samples, diagrams and current reference materials, all directly related to the course at hand, indexed for ease of use. Step-by-step lab instructions and project descriptions are clearly illustrated and commented for maximum learning.
Duration: 4 days
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course. Training date request